Sometimes I need a filter between my brain and my mouth.
This is not the way to get one.

Wednesday 21 July 2010

I'd like to leave a message for Sanity to call me back...

Apparently the world has gone bonkers.

First some woman sues Qantas because a little boy screamed in her ear, and her ear started to bleed. And apparently Qantas was negligent because the cabin crew didn't stop the child from making noise.

Well lady, what did you want them to do!? Dose him with sleeping pills and gag him!? Did moving seats not come to mind, or were you simply working on more evidence for your 'case'.  I understand you're from the US - land of the free-for-all - but for goodness sake, get a grip on reality.

If it was your child upset on a plane journey, would you be carrying on like this? No - of course not. You saw your chance and took it. Congratulations on being a total twit.

And Qantas are the biggest tools for organising a private settlement with this looney. I would've let it go to court, and watch the judge's face when confronted with a raving lunatic who chooses to travel on public transport and whinge about the noise.

And as for the parents suing their doctor for not picking up that their child had Down Syndrome. Don't get me started (although I'm going to ramble because that's what this post is about...)!! Those tests are not 100% - they only ever give a risk factor as a basis to judge whether there might be the POSSIBILITY of your child having Down Syndrome or any other chromosomal abnormality. And that is explained before you have the test done. I know - we had it done for the Toddler! And if you didn't have the test, then it was your choice, so why is the doctor at fault?

This makes me angry because the parents stated that they would have terminated if they'd known about their baby's condition. That makes me so sad and annoyed. Do they have any idea how many people there are in the world who would give anything to have a family of their own, and can't!? Every child is an amazing person and has the potential to be anything they want, regardless. But if you have no faith in your child, then your child will have no faith in themselves.

Yes, I understand that a child with a condition like Down Syndrome would be expensive depending on complications. No, I don't completely understand how it feels to discover that your child has this condition. But what I do understand is that there is a FAR better way of coping with something as challenging and sad as this. Yes, it would be a shock and, coming to terms with the new reality covers all the emotions including anger, denial and sadness. But going to court over it is not adjustment. That's just wanting to gain a tangible target for how they're feeling and wanting a public forum for venting their pissy mood at the universe.


So as a result they're suing for wrongful birth. How DARE they! That makes it sound as if their baby was a mistake. Unwanted. Unloved. And it breaks my heart. How can any mother birth a baby and not feel instant love for that child? How will that child feel when they grow up and realise that their parents decided they needed someone to blame for who they are?


Life time of therapy, anyone?

Trust me, the world knows you must feel cheated and that nature screwed you over. But I'm sure if that little baby had a choice, it would have said "Thanks, I'll have long legs, long lashes and a cute smile. But hold the extra chromosome, I'm watching my birth weight." It may have also requested more understanding parents.

It makes me so angry and disappointed to think that we live in a world where we think it's OK to find a scapegoat for our problems. It's not OK - it's awful. We don't control nature (and that's a GOOD thing!) and let's face it - Life's a bitch and then you die.

So why have we stopped accepting the things we can't control, and started ignoring the things we do control? Why have we decided that life MUST answer for itself? Last time I checked life had us under the thumb, not the other way around. The sooner we accept that, the sooner we'll be able to focus on all the awesome things we do have, rather than be revolving around all the challenges thrown at us.


There is, undoubtedly, a lot of hormonal and emotional raging in this post. Especially being a mum and being someone who would love to have another baby. And being someone who it's just not happening for at the moment. And it's very disappointing.

So I'll get off my soap box tonight and leave the philosophical, ethical and heart felt discussions to others who are far more qualified, and far less emotional. And I'm going to take my own advice and focus on all the awesome things I have happening, rather than the one thing that's not.

So I'm going to kiss the Guru and tell him I love him, go in to kiss the Toddler goodnight again and see if I can't get some sleepy time snuggles. And if I can't sleep I'll start planning the Toddlers room in the new house we've bought and remind myself how lucky I am to have what I do. No buts.

Check it Out

Follow Anything, Everything & Inbetween Liebster Blog Award Digital Parents