Sometimes I need a filter between my brain and my mouth.
This is not the way to get one.

Tuesday 12 February 2013

Yo Shorty - It's Your Birthday...

Although I prefer to think of myself as 'fun size'.

So, today, I am 29 years old. It doesn't feel like I've been on earth for 29 years - some days it feels like I've been here a shit load longer!

I keep thinking there should be some change in me, but I think this every year - that I suddenly become more mature, or that I should now be interested in watching the stock market and read poncy newspapers over coffee. But maybe that will come next year, when I hit 30?

On reflection, I think I've done okay with my time thus far. Sure, there are things that might be nice to 'do over', but what's the point in worrying about that? There's a reason our heads can't turn 180 degrees.

This year though, I've decided I'm going to be a bit 'louder'. I've always been very reserved, and so now I want to be more confident in who I am. I'm not going to pretend I do or don't like something just because someone else feels that way. I'm going to be honest about my opinions, make choices based on how I feel and what I think.

I'm going to try and stop worrying about the rest of the world and remember that it's ok to be me.

So, for starters, I want to do something with my hair. I've already lost the length - I had it chopped from just below my butt, to my shoulders, when Miss 4 was about 6 months old. It was liberating, even if I did feel bald for ages and continued to try and brush hair that wasn't there anymore.

I call it my 'phantom hair' stage.

That really only leaves colour and texture. So my curls will go on holiday for a short while, and goodbye to the brown/red colour I've been sporting for too long. I'm going to go for the change I've been wanting for a while...

Image via Google
Yep - red and black.

I know it's not exactly your typical 'mum style', but I'm trying to break out of the 'mummy mould' I've put myself in. Who says you can't be a kick-arse parent and rock some fab locks!? Look at Miss Pink from The Mummy Autobiography - completely proves my point.

I think I've been inspired to make a change by The Man. He's on a mission to become a toned champion of the 5am run and the 5pm workout. That kind of change is so far out of my spectrum I don't even know where to begin. I can support him and make sure his workout clothes are clean, but me and my peanut M&M's will be observing from the couch.

When I die, I'll know immediately if I've gone to hell. The room will be filled with clowns and their pet spiders on exercise equipment.

I have made a promise to myself that I would try and tone up a bit, but by the time I've run up and down the front stairs a few hundred times with loads of laundry, bags of rubbish and/or a baby, cleaned the house and been on the trampoline with Miss 4, I figure I've done more than enough exercise and it didn't involve any of the equipment that features in my nightmares.

This year will be a year of experimentation and, hopefully, success. I've already navigated the process of giving birth in a car, sending Miss 4 to pre-school and resisting the urge to constantly buy cute clothes for both my girls - changing my hairstyle will be easy as! Especially when you consider that it'll be a child free experience, plus head massages, massage chairs and coffee on demand involved in the lengthy process.

And best of all - someone else has to clean up after ME!

You never know, maybe I'll take some peanut M&M's with me and make it a truly indulgent day...

Check it Out

Follow Anything, Everything & Inbetween Liebster Blog Award Digital Parents