Sometimes I need a filter between my brain and my mouth.
This is not the way to get one.

Monday 25 July 2011

Why I'm not allowed to go out by myself...

Friday was a public holiday here in Darwin. Yup. For show day.

Not that the Darwin Show is even in the same universe as, say, the Sydney Easter Show. But it's ours, and it comes with a holiday. We shall never let it die.

This year, the show came with an added bonus. A bonus of chicken.

Not to eat, but to raise as our own and hope that they contribute to the household by way of eggs. Not that we eat a lot of eggs. In fact I only eat eggwhite (the yolks taste revolting, to me), and the Guru is the only one of us who knows how to make scrambled eggs that don't end up tasting like rubber, or simply glued to the bowl.

He also makes Eggs Benedict disturbingly well. I took it as a sign he's totally been holding out on us. He has mad cooking skills - how did I not know that!?

Anyway, as a result of the public holiday, going to the show without adult supervision (i.e. the Guru - my Mum doesn't count because she likes chickens and she thought it was a great idea) and having access to money, we now have 2 new members of the family.

And here they are:



Because they technically belong to the Toddler, she got to name them.

The chicken with the dark marks on one wing = Stewie
The chicken with no marks at all = Icecream

I'm not too worried, she named her toy rabbit 'Pickle'.

So we are now the proud owners of 2 chickens, and 2 cats who are wondering why we're keeping their snacks behind bars.

I'm teaching the chickens ninja moves - self defence, of course.


3 comments :

  1. Haha! We were thinking about chickens! I use eggs as part of the kids lunches by hard boiling them. It's just something easy to throw at them and let them feed themselves. But the two one year olds mean eggs disappear quickly here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kel

    I found your blog through Daisy and I had to come see, cause I'm in Darwin too, and i didn't think anyone else was.
    Chickens from the show hey? We went Saturday night sans kids and the animals were all in bed.
    And I know it's lame, but being a local who has never been to the Sydney show, I do love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! We were thinking about chickens! I use eggs as part of the kids lunches by hard boiling them. It's just something easy to throw at them and let them feed themselves. But the two one year olds mean eggs disappear quickly here!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment - it helps validate the fact that I'm not just talking to myself.

Check it Out

Follow Anything, Everything & Inbetween Liebster Blog Award Digital Parents