Sometimes I need a filter between my brain and my mouth.
This is not the way to get one.

Wednesday 12 December 2012

Review: Mimijumi

I know that there is a lot of debate about bottle feeding - my choice to bottle feed wasn't an easy one to make, but the reality is what it is and so here we are.

When I was approached to road test the Mimijumi Bottle, I have to say I wasn't sure about the reception it might receive. But as a Mum who does bottle feed I was intrigued by the consideration behind the development and creation of the Mimijumi Bottle.

Mimijumi Bottles are produced in Austria and are newly available in Australia. All the bottles are BPA and latex free, EA free, and anti-colic - factors which have influenced all the purchases of baby bottles in our home.

Something that is very different from other bottles on the market is the nipple. The design replicates a mother's breast (all the way down to the pores!) to assist in creating a feeding and latching experience that is as close to nature as possible.




And so - to the road test!

I was a little disappointed that the bottle can't be sterilised in my steam steriliser, and I had to boil it in water. This isn't a fact that would be inconvenient if Mimijumi Bottles were all you had and you could just throw them all together in a pot on the stove top - but for me it was a bit of a 'doh' moment.

On the up side, the packaging is so cute! Miss 3 has requested that I inform everyone that the bottle packaging makes a fantastic milk carton for your play kitchen, and the nipple packaging is suitable for pretending that you bought some custard.




I have to confess that I'm a slave to all things modern and funky. The bright red colouring and the unique shape of the bottle had me at hello.

Once the bottle was sterilised and the formula prepared, we were all set for our 'baby test'.

The initial test wasn't good. JellyBean was not impressed and seemed to struggle to get a good seal between her mouth and the nipple. She also appeared to have to work very hard to get anything out of the nipple, seal issues aside.

But this proved to be the result of 'Mummy-user error' - I had the bottle upside down in her mouth, so instead of the nipple pointing to the roof of her mouth, it was pointing down to her tongue and every time she tried to suck, her tongue would block the hole.

Once I flipped the bottle around, it was all systems go!

JellyBean happily fed and I have to say, she had far less spillage from either side of her mouth as she seemed to be able to regulate the flow of milk a lot easier, and the nipple was firm enough not to block her nostrils, but soft enough to mould to her mouth.

Mum finally got it the right way up!

And now, with my full belly, I will sleep...

From a Mummy point of view, the shape of the bottle makes it so much easier to hold at the right angle to get the milk filling the nipple. This meant not having to stop so often for burps and a far less indignant baby, as there was little to no stray air getting in the way while JellyBean was feeding.

Overall, I found the Mimijumi a very cute and easy to use bottle. I think if they could get the bottle to be able to be used in a steam steriliser, or a microwave steriliser, it would be perfect! But even with that I'll continue to use this bottle, I think mostly for night feeds as it seems to be far less messy and a lot more calming.

Isn't it cute with it's little 'hat'!?!

For more information on the Mimijumi Bottles and accessories you can visit their website http://mimijumi.com.au or visit them on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/mimijumi.australia



**In the interest of full disclosure, I was provided with 1 Mimijumi Very Hungry Baby Bottle and 3 teats of varying flow to road test with the JellyBean.**

Check it Out

Follow Anything, Everything & Inbetween Liebster Blog Award Digital Parents